Monday, October 5, 2009

Perils with the perverted minds

Two years back, when I am posted in chennai, many told me that people here are good at heart if not in looks. I saw the same to be true and my past 2 years stay here in chennai is pretty comfortable one and made me feel that it is indeed a warm and welcoming place for all. However, my weekends visit to a nearby restaurant proved I am wrong.

Some great thinker said once, Chastity is not a dignity, its lack of oppotunity. How true it is! Untill last month, the restaurant used to have only local waiters. Almost all of them males. Every thing looked fine untill few weeks back, when suddenly I started seeing new faces, not of local type, but of the north eastern corner of our country. For a moment, I felt proud. I felt proud as I can see the true colour of India. Different races working together, living together, sharing equal opportunities, what a delight to see my India shining.

Everything seemed so perfect only to be proved wrong this weekend. I started to see the true colour, with my all-is-so-good lens removed from my eyes. It all started when I see the way the local waiters are moving with their north east peers. I never saw this over enthusiasm in the local workers earlier when it was all males around. I never knew that this restaurant has a supervisor who encourages his female workers by keeping hands around their shoulder. I never saw these local waiters mocking their peers earlier when it was all locals and I also never knew that we can work as a team only when one touches unneccessarily.

The way the staff is moving with the new female staff made me feel very sad and for a moment made me feel ashamed. They are literally taking advantage of thier helplessness. Expressions on thier faces is clearly showing their displeasure, but can't utter a word because of thier helplessness. They came all the way from north eastern states to down south in search of lively hood and a decent life, not to be abused like slaves. We should remember that they are our fellow citizens, guests and their women are as sacred as ours. Just because they look different doesn't mean your attitude and behavior towards them should change.

Now its very clear that the traits gentle men here show towards women are not because of chastity but because of lack of oppotunity. Given a chance, these guys are no different from wild beasts.

I am not a feminist, but anyone with a pinch a conciousness will condemn these barbaric acts. Hope God bestows these perverts with some sense and courage to those poor women to face these wild beasts.

2 comments:

  1. Hey....Good to see ur Blog dude... it would b much more appreciable if u can shoot a thought-provoking solution before closing ur view. because.. v all knw tht the problems count is very near to the count of INDIAN population....i genuinely feel tht u r one eminent person to give solutions....

    All the Best...
    waiting to watch more..

    Cheers... Suddu..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Suddu

    These are social issues where one cannot do much. You cant have rules for every thing. Its upto the society and its people who should realize that other women are as respectable as their own. Plight of our country is that many down south dont even know what are the north eastern states and when they see these people, they feel as if they were from a foreign country.

    ReplyDelete